Email: geology.manuscript@gmail.com
International Journal of Geography, Geology and Environment
  • Printed Journal
  • Refereed Journal
  • Peer Reviewed Journal
P-ISSN: 2706-7483, E-ISSN: 2706-7491

Impact Factor: RJIF 5.14

Printed Journal   |   Refereed Journal   |   Peer Reviewed Journal
Journal is inviting manuscripts for its coming issue. Contact us for more details.

"International Journal of Geography, Geology and Environment"

2021, Vol. 3, Issue 2, Part A

GIS based analytical hierarchy process (AHP) and frequency ratio (FR) models for groundwater potential zone mapping


Author(s): Dr. S Uvaraj

Abstract: The sustainable development and management of groundwater resource requires precise quantitative assessment based on scientific principle and modern techniques. The present study discusses with the utilization of GIS based analytical hierarchy process (AHP) and frequency ratio (FR) models for identification of the groundwater potential zones in Papanasam Taluk, Thanjavur district. The inventory of spring well locations were determined on the topographical map as detected by using field surveys and central groundwater board (CGWB) reports that is in total, 323 springs were identified and mapped in GIS; out of that, 226 (70%) locations were selected for training and the remaining 97 (30%) cases were used for the model validation. The effective thematic layers on the groundwater conditioning factors such as lithology, geomorphology, lineament density, drainage density, soil, slope, rainfall, land use/land cover and elevation were derived from the spatial database. Subsequently, groundwater potential maps were produced from map index calculated using AHP and FR models in GIS environment. The zones obtained were divided into three categories, viz., high, medium and low potential zones based on the availability of groundwater. Finally, the receiver operating characteristic (ROC) curves for the groundwater potential models were constructed and the areas under the curves (AUC) were computed. From the analysis, it is seen that the FR model (AUC=68.5%) performs better than AHP (AUC=41.1%) models. Hence, the outcomes attained from the present study indicated that the statistical model can offer an influential tool for delineation of GW resource. The produced groundwater potential maps can assist planners and engineers in groundwater development plans and land use planning.

Pages: 83-91 | Views: 14 | Downloads: 7

Download Full Article: Click Here
How to cite this article:
Dr. S Uvaraj. GIS based analytical hierarchy process (AHP) and frequency ratio (FR) models for groundwater potential zone mapping. Int J Geogr Geol Environ 2021;3(2):83-91.
International Journal of Geography, Geology and Environment